Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Epiphany

Today is special - it's Epiphany. I remember my Grandma today...just as I do everyday, several times a day. This is the anniversary of her death. She was such an inspiration to me and especially so in her final days when she showed no fear of death and shed no tears. She made it clear she would miss us and this made her sad, but she looked forward to joining my Grandpa and other family members who had gone before and to meet her Savior face-to-face. She loved her Lord and I remember how she gave an offering on Christmas (in addition to her regular giving)to Jesus in the same amount she spent on each of her children. She felt he deserved no less as it was his birthday. Of course, it shames me because I have not done the same, but inspires me to start. Nate has been asking about my Grandparents a lot lately. He never met them, but knows them from pictures and from our reminiscing. They were dearly loved and greatly missed. But, they left such a legacy. Everytime we go by a cemetery he asks if this is where Grandma TuTu and Grandpa Charlie are. This happened again the other day as we passed a cemetery near our house. I said no, they weren't at this one, but his comment suddenly inspired a thought, which had never occured to me before...and I shared it with him immediately. I told him that Grandma was very special and she passed away on a very special day - Ephiphany. Ephiphany was when the wisemen followed the star to Jesus. She too followed the star to Jesus on the same day. Which, made her a wisewoman.
I frequently wish she could have lived to see my children, and it makes me sad, but then I tell my heart that I really feel she was given the grace to see them or the knowledge of them before or at her passing. I wouldn't be surprised if Grandpa & Grandma played with them in Heaven before they came to me. Lucky kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful tribute to her, Shelley. I love the part where she followed the star to Jesus, too. Precious.

Still Learning said...

Beautiful! I thought of you and your Mom on Epiphany this year....and for several past. SHE LOVED YOU SO MUCH!!!!! They both were amazing people, I am thankful I was blessed to know them.